6 Celebrities With Inspiring Caregiving Stories
These six celebrities are often in the spotlight for their acting roles, but each has also played the role of caregiver. Their stories prove that no matter what you do for a living, caring for the ones you love is the most important job.
- Actress Holly Robinson Pete cared for her father after he was diagnosed with Parkinsons and founded the HollyRod Foundation to help others living with the disease.
- Marg Helgenberger, from the popular TV show NCIS, was just a young adult when she began caring for both her parents. Shes shared her story to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Leeza Gibbons, best known for her work on Entertainment Tonight, is a caregiver to her mother. Her organization, Leezas Place, is dedicated to providing free support, resources and programs for other family caregivers.
- Patrick Dempsey plays a doctor on Greys Anatomy, and also supports cancer patients and their families off-screen. Inspired by his mothers fight against Ovarian Cancer, he established The Dempsey Center, which offers support and education for anyone impacted by cancer.
- An outspoken advocate for Alzheimers research and funding, Maria Shriver cared for her father who battled the disease for seven years. She now reports for Today.
- Comedian Seth Rogen not only helps care for his mother-in-law who has early onset Alzheimer's, hes also used his star power to lobby Congress for more funding.
CareConversations.org provides resources and advice to help you and your loved ones make informed and confident decisions about the care they may need now and in the future. Visit our About page to learn more.